Friday 26 March 2010

If so, why have you collaborated?

Question number 3: If so, [refering to question number 2] why have you collaborated?

Nina Chua

I’d been working singularly in my studio for a long time and had got to the stage where I wanted companionship and critical dialogue to be part of my studio life, so first and foremost I collaborated for the shared experience and the sense of possibility.

Now, I’d like to add to the list: challenge. I enjoy the challenge and the negotiation of ideas that comes with collaboration.

Ying Kwok

Put myself in the creative thinking mode.

Get some pressure and excitement

Jessica Longmore

To stimulate my own practice and put myself in a position where I don't know what will happen next.

In the meetings preceding this residency I had become aware of what a huge challenge working in this way would be. This realisation had manifested itself as sheer panic and these moments of panic have continued through out our time at Islington Mill. So in terms of why I have continued to collaborate, despite the difficulties, is, it has made me work harder; it has made me let go of some aspects of my work, brought clarity to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment